PURPOSE OF THE PROJECT:
The education of the public about the timber industry, past and present, is the primary goal of Olympic Timber Town and Heritage Center. Timber Town will provide a forum, where the
timber industry can tell it’s story.
- How it began.
- How it grew.
- How it has become a good steward of the forests of the Olympic Peninsula and the Pacific Northwest.
In addition we will provide:
- A memorial to the loggers who pioneered a major industry for the Pacific Northwest.
- Educational and interpretative venues showing the importance of the forest products industry in making a wide variety of wood products from a renewable resource.
- By using entertainment as a part of the educational process we will create a better understanding of the forest products industry and how it has improved the climate for forestry operations in the Pacific Northwest.
- By including the major forest product companies operating on the Olympic Peninsula in the planning and facilities of the project, it will assist us in the acquisition, transportation, restoration and installation of a vast collection of antique logging equipment waiting to be housed at the center.
A Non-Profit Corporation "Authenticity stimulates fascination"
Development of a complete 1900 era up to the present day Timber Town and wood products theme park.
This proposal was first presented in writing in February, 1997. It has been updated two times since, with new ideas, planning, and changes. This Proposal is divided into four parts.
1. A tourist attraction.
2. A fundraising endeavor.
3. Vocational education training.
4. Education of the public about the timber industry through working
Numerous cities around the country have developed ideas into multi-million dollar assets. Let us name just a few:
Hot Air Balloon Festival and Mt. Top Cable Car Albuquerque, NM
Auto racing Indianapolis, IN
Daytona Beach, FL
The Lawrence Welk Theater and Entertainment Bransen, MO
Old Town and the State Railroad Museum Sacramento, CA
Danish Shops and Stores Solvang, CA.
Also right in our own back yard is Leavenworth, WA. Not too many years ago they were about ready to roll up the side walks, now look at it. Here's what we consider to be opportunities for Port Angeles and the Olympic Peninsula.
Develop most of the site to a complete working Timber Town’. In addition to typical log houses and buildings of the era, include the normal equipment employed to make it function as a logging town. The equipment would include, but is not limited to, log yard with a working steam donkey, saw mill, shingle mill, etc. These will eventually be steam operated. Individual shingles from the mill being offered for sale as souvenirs that are stamped with the wording: I SAW THIS SHINGLE BEING MADE IN PORT ANGELES, WA.
The main center of attraction would be an auditorium type building where logging shows are presented to a sit down audience regardless of weather conditions. The show proposed would start in the home of logger and his family. Then proceed through some of his activities of the day. This will include operating various kinds of equipment to show the audience how trees are harvested and made into lumber or shingles during the 1900 era. The closing part of the show would see a working logging locomotive come in and stop in front of everyone, and for the engineer to answer questions. The logger also explain the workings of the locomotive and its use in the timber industry. The seating would all be removable, so that tables and chairs can be placed for dinner parties. followed by one of our shows. Many other events could be held in this auditorium.
Displays will be placed under cover, either in a building or just a roof overhead. Call this preventative maintenance. Other buildings could house a machine shop, carpentry shop, plumbing shop, blacksmith shop, and saw shop. At least one large building to house static displays of antique logging tools and other associated equipment. Then still another building to provide for restoration and repair of antique logging equipment, this last item should be one of the first constructed and it should have a visitor's gallery. People want to see what is being done and how it is accomplished.
Fund Raising Endeavor
- Hydroponics' and Greenhouse farm
- Restaurant and Gift shop
- Wood Products
- Theme Park
Vocational Education Training
- Gas, diesel, and steam engine overhaul and repair
- Blacksmith shop
- Carpentry shop
- Gas and electric welding
- Saw shop
- Landscaping and gardening